/ AC 2 LITRE SALOON - WEBMASTER AND HIS CAR page 14

WEBMASTER AND HIS CAR

Page 14

27th June 2021: Spring-time round-up

Some business projects kept me busy over winter and spring, but I made a start on a few small tasks on the AC. These were the front brakes, mesh guards, air-filters and water-pump. I will write them up in detail shortly, in the overhaul and restoration sections of this site.


This type of master-cylinder is a rare commodity. Girling only produced it for about 2 years and was only used by AC and Rover (up to 1949). I could not find any information on it, either in old textbooks or online. I've had to learn the hard way! The hydrastatic front brakes also give the old grey-matter a good test, as few people know anything about them.


AC's patented mesh splash-guards (fitted under each wing), are rarely found on ACs today. The above photo shows the old (aluminium) item and the new (stainless steel) version of a rear guard. It is difficult to find aluminium mesh. It's also difficult to fold stainless mesh! Fitting the front ones to the car, was a challenge, until I worked out how it was done. The brackets have to bolt to the mesh first, and then to the car. But you can't work out the fitting position unless the brackets are on the car. There's a quick release panel at the back of the wings, giving handy access to bolt the mesh in... except you can't bolt the access panel on if the mesh is fully in place! It can be done...


Someone on ebay has been selling excellent looking replicas of the labels for our air-filters. They can go on the front or back. I chose the back, so that I can repaint/re-finish the fronts later on, for a gleaming look.


Above you can see the internals of my water-pump after I made some small modifications. Some detail care and attention to the functioning of the seal, will hopefully be rewarded. Simply fitting new parts doesn't guarantee reliability. The easiest thing to check, is that the drainage hole at the front of the casing, is nice and clear, so that any leaking coolant is kept away from the bearing. If you've dismantled it, make sure that the carbon seal slides freely over its drive-pin.

14th August 2021: Re-paint hold-up.

The second half of this season, was planned for the cosmetic restoration, primarily coach painting the external bodywork. This has almost ground to a halt, while I try to get the correct colour. I initially followed advice (from various sources) to change from Tekaloid to Craftmaster (very expensive). The expensive British Standard "light olive green" that arrived, was more like sea green! No refunds. Back to Tekaloid, via my previous retailer, only to find that their supplier has changed the colour. I had purchased some 3 years ago, which perfectly matches what I believe the unfaded colour to be. I might try Avenue next, who also make Tekaloid and offer a colour-matching service. Wish me luck.

In the mean-time, I did manage to complete the spare wheel hatch with reasonable results (correct colour from old tin of paint). The numberplate was more trouble than the paint!





<< Page 13


HOME-PAGE

Sitemap





Website started 29th December 2006